No-Churn Blackberry Dark Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Hands down, our family's favorite summer treat is ice cream! We don't make a habit of keeping it in the house so it's always one of those extra special treats for us to get when we're out on a hot summer's day. Well this year, we thought we'd try to make our own! The best ice cream I've ever had is Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip and it's not easy to get your hands on where we live so I thought I'd try to recreate it!
I scoured the internet reading lots of no-churn ice cream recipes (meaning you don't need an ice cream maker to make this at home) and what I came up with is a combo recipe of sorts and it came out delicoiusly!
It might sound intimidating but it's actually quite simple and once you get the base recipe down, the sky is the limit for all the different kinds of ice cream flavors you can make! The only hard part is the wait time. But here's what you need to make Blackberry Dark Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:
-12 oz fresh blackberries
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3/4 Half & Half
-1/4 C cream cheese
-1/4 tsp salt
-5 large egg yolks
-dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Heat berries + sugar in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Crush with a wooden spoon while they soften - set aside.
2. In a medium sauce pan, stir the cream, half & half, lemon juice and salt and bring to a gentle simmer.
3. Meanwhile, have the egg yolks ready in a medium bowl. Stream about 1/2 C of the heated cream mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Continue to pour slowly while whisking.
4. Add contents back to the pot and cook until mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add in berries and cream cheese. Turn off heat and stir until cream cheese is fully melted.
5. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. Pour the chilled ice cream into a shallow dish (usually a bread pan or 8x8 pan) and sprinkle chopped chocolate on top.
7. Place in freezer and every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours, beat with an electric mixture until fluffy.
8. Cover and freeze until firm. Let rest on counter to soften before serving. 9. Best enjoyed with family and friends!